Aerial photograph of Kedington, taken in 1986 (1.94 Mb pdf)
Parish Councillor John Pelling has written a book on Kedington's history entitled 'Fifty Centuries'. The book reveals that the first signs of people living in Kedington, is a small flint tool found in the garden of Watermill House. The tool, an arrowhead, was dated to the New Stone Age 5000 years or more ago.
Moving on, traces of what was probably a Roman villa were discovered in 1980, near to Cotton Hall.
The village name seems to mean Cyda's or Cyda's farm and in the time of the Saxons was probaly pronounced Keddi-tuna. Over the years, there have been various versions of the name, ranging from Cid-ton, Cyda-ton to Kitton and Ketton to Kidituna in the Domesday Book.
Since Kedington had three patrons, there are three types of entry in the Domesday Book and in 1086, the population was 280 people.
From time to time, we will add more notes of historical interest to this page.